Professional Development Units (PDUs)
Professional Development Unit
Eligible Educators: All teachers represented by DCTA
Decision Maker: DPS and DCTA
Year Implemented: 2006-2007
- Develop educators' professional status and motivation to increase instructional expertise.
- Encourage professional practices that contribute to student learning.
- Encourage educators to develop content area expertise appropriate to current or proposed assignment.
- Develop the district as a leader in teacher compensation and quality professional development.
- Commit district structures and funding to the development and compensation of teacher knowledge and skills.
- Knowledge and skills development helps teachers learn the instructional strategies and content area expertise that boost student learning.
- Development of professional expertise is the major factor producing career salary increases.
- Those closest to the teaching and learning process are the most effective change agents.
- Self-directed professional development, that is grounded in district and individual goals, maximizes meeting instructional and career needs.
- Demonstration of and reflection upon knowledge and skills optimizes the time spent on professional development.
- Setting professional goals is essential to reaching them.
ProComp PDU Incentive eligibility and payment information is available here.